Each of these delicious protein waffles boasts around 14 grams of protein. This a perfect pre- or post-workout breakfast!
Ever since my and my husband moved into our home we’ve flirted with the idea of buying a waffle iron. We debated back and forth whether it was a frivolous purchase; if the novelty would wear off only a few weeks after having it and it’d be one of those purchases that eventually ends up in the back of the kitchen cupboard collecting dust. As someone who’s diligently decluttered nearly every area of their life; I try to be intentional with purchases (well, as much as possible – I do have an ever growing gym wear collection).
Finally after years of putting off getting one I caved in and bought the Salter 3-in-1 Snack Maker with Waffle, Panini and Toasted Sandwich Plates. We may have had only had it for a few weeks so far but I really don’t regret getting it so far! We’ve had waffles for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner! Sweet waffles, savoury waffles, plain waffles, chocolate waffles BUT obviously as fitness fanatic protein waffles were a must try!
I tried a few recipes but I finally feel like I’ve nail the perfect combination of ingredients for delicious, moist high protein waffles! I probably shouldn’t say this right off the bat but the secret ingredient is actually Greek Yoghurt. It adds extra protein to the mix as well as giving you a really nice moist waffle that you can dish up with some nut butter, syrup, favourite fruits or bacon + eggs.
I love these waffles as they are perfect for meal prep. I whip up a batch over the weekend and take them to work with me for breakfast. They easily reheat in the microwave in 30 seconds but I even popped them in the toaster. These waffles have made me the envy of all my colleagues – they make me look like absolute kitchen pro but in truth they are super easy to whip together! Try them out and let me know your thoughts.
Perfect Protein Waffles
- 2 large eggs
- 350 ml milk I used 1% high protein but sub with your preferred milk/nut milk
- 100 g greek yoghurt I used 0% greek yoghurt
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 300 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 45 g whey protein powder I used Women's Best Fit Whey
- cooking oil spray
- Spray waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat waffle iron as per manufacturer instruction.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar milk and yogurt. Keep whisking until mix it is well combined and bubbly.
- Add in the baking powder, cinnamon, protein powder and flour and stir until well combined.
- Finally add coconut oil to mixture.
- Cook on a heated waffle iron until golden brown.